Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Dining Room Dilema


I love dining rooms. I love my dining room. The problem is, we don't have enough space to use an entire 25% of our house for a table we hardly ever use. So, I am transforming my dining room into a family room, and will not be looking back. Hopefully. Since our kitchen has ample space for a table that seats six, I'm getting rid of our formal table and chairs in the dining room to open up the space for my family to relax.
The first thing I wanted to do is buy an area rug since we have hard wood floors, and I want Baby to have a soft place to fall. The trouble with this process, is figuring out which size and shape will work with the furniture configuration (which isn't set in stone, either). A handy little trick I like to use to help me and my clients visualize is to lay down strips of masking tape in the size I am considering like this:
I originally thought that I wanted a 5'x8' rug for my space until I found the great rug featured above which happens to be a 6 foot square. I taped up the floor in a 6x6, and I love it. I also toyed with the idea of a more contemporary rug, but in the end I decided to stick with a traditional Indian pattern, figuring it will have a longer shelf life. The colors are also in harmony with the original artwork I have in the space. (Please note: as a general rule, I do not think artwork has to match your decor, and is often cheesy when it does). In this case, however, I think it works.

I'm taking a chance buying a rug online, since I am such a tactile designer and a stickler for correct color, but I'll let you know my experience with it. Check back for more updates and ideas with my dining-room-turned-family-room. After the rug arrives, I'm going to be reupholstering the wing back chair, making pillows, and who knows what else will strike my fancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment