Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

It was the first thing to go, I said to myself. Now, after living with it for over a year, it has sort of grown on me. I'm talking, of course, about my beautiful wagon wheel chandelier in our sixties kitchen. Are we going for "pioneer chic" or the "Chuck-a-Rama?"

The funny thing is, a lot of people seem to really like it. Does it speak to some sort of hipster sensibility? I'm not sure. But I do know that I don't hate it anymore. It provides great illumination, a function light fixtures these days seem to take for granted. And I wonder if the wagon wheel trend will make a comeback like jelly shoes and leg warmers.


Trends are a tricky thing. I recently saw this jade chandelier above by Murray Feiss, and I fell in LOVE with it. The picture does nothing for it, but it is amazing! Yes, you will be ah-mazed (my husband thinks we use that word wrong in our culture). But will the beautiful lines and incredible jewel color of the hand-blown glass chandelier be the "first thing to go" in some future person's life? Probably.

So what's a gal to do? Stick with something "neutral" for maximum resell-ability? Well, guess what: neutral is also a trend that will be out of style some day. Think about it.

If I decide that my trusty wagon wheel is no longer working for me, I would love to have the jade number. In the mean time, however, life is good. Sometimes, the "first thing to go" needs to be the idea that life is better with new stuff. After all, the latest and greatest will someday be the dated-est!

No comments:

Post a Comment